Saturday, May 21, 2011

Finally time to garden

It's May long weekend and it is gorgeous outside! Time to plant my tiny gardens.
The Gutter Garden is making it's 2nd annual appearance, much to my neighbours delight. They thought I was coo-coo bananas last year, when I put these up. But once they saw how well everything grew, they thought I was a genius! I admitted, it was not my idea. I saw it posted online last spring and thought it was the perfect solution to my tiny yard. Last year, I had 2 gutters on the west facing fence and two on the east facing fence. Even though I planted the west facing fence first, the east facing fence grew faster and better. More sun.
So at the end of the season, I had Mark move the 2 gutters on the west fence over to the east. I expect much better result, all around, this year.

I made sure to write down what I planted in each gutter this year, so it isn't a guessing game like last!

Top row - onions.
Second from top - left side is a mix salad, right side is spinach.
Third row - all lettuce.
Bottom row - strawberries. These were the only ones I didn't plant from seed.



Strawberries:



I use my strawberry pot to plant herbs:



Parsley on the top:



Lemon Thyme:



Here is a virginia creeper and above it in the boxes is peppermint. Plenty of peppermint for summertime mojitos on the back deck!



Just a few other plants and flowers:







Peter enjoying is favourite treat as I garden:

No comments: